The Subminiature Photography Mailing List - Digest #331

Ronald P

Although you *can* take an IR photo with just about any digital camera, an IR filter (e.g. Hoya R72), and longish exposures, many lenses will show unsightly hot spots.  If you want to go this route you can find charts for many popular camera/lens combinations that will show you which lenses are best suited for IR photography.

On May 9, 2021, at 6:12 AM, "main@Submini-L.groups.io" <digestnoreply@groups.io> wrote:
Groups.io
This is a digest for The Subminiature Photography Mailing List. View all your groups.io groups, and edit your subscriptions, here.
Do not reply to this email. To reply to a message, click the Reply link under the message.
Topics in this digest:
1. Re: Are you ready for IR? (5)
1a. 
Re: Are you ready for IR?
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 07:51:17 EDT

Hi,

I convert digital cameras to infrared and full spectrum, probably done 200….. mainly Panasonic compacts and micro 4/3, I always replace the IR Cut filter  (and AA filter) with an appropriate thickness of clear or IR Pass filter.  I find there is a lot of confusion about cameras and what filters are in front of the sensor, some manufacturers talk about no filter but what they often mean is the Anti Alias filter as that can now be done with software.  There is still a IR cut filter which is why if you put a IR pass filter on the lens you still get long exposures.    Leica M8 has no AA and a very weak IR cut filter and it got them into all sorts of problems when it came out.

You can see my own IR photographs at http://www.nigelrichards.org.uk/Infrared%20Images.htm  many are taken with very small sensor compact cameras which by some definitions make them Sub miniature.

My main camera collect is Sub miniature with about 450 cameras!

Cheers

Nigel

www.nigelrichardsphotography.co.uk

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic
1b. 
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 08:13:40 EDT

I'll try out my Konica Minolta A2 digital which has a very small sensor -- and a ton of features -- but I expect IR images to be impossible.  It has a built in IR filter (not what we usually think -- this IR filter cuts OUT IR light), and by adding a typical IR filter (which cuts out everything except IR light) will give nothing to the sensor.

As to my Konica Minolta A2 being a "submini"?  I suppose in some sense.  It's a very nice camera, but it's up there in size with the Hendren Octopus "The Weekender" when compared to conventional subminis.

For IR work?  I think I'll stick to my Minolta MG-s.

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic
1c. 
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 10:35:27 EDT

Best of luck with converting digital cameras.

All a submini film camera needs is IR film and an IR filter -- pretty simple, easy & cheap -- or with my MG-s a red & green filter.

1d. 
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 19:18:28 EDT

You will probably get something, yes most digital cameras have an IR cut filter in front of the sensor however when you put an IR pass filter in front of the lens enough IR light leaks through to give you an image but you may need a 30 second exposure. I started shooting digital IR with an unconverted Canon 5d in 2005 great results on a tripod, but soon realised that I needed to work out how to convert cameras properly.

1e. 
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 20:12:53 EDT

There are a lot of older digital cameras out and about that can be had for very low cost (or even free). Anyone with a few small tools and reasonable handiness might try to convert one for IR by removing the IR-blocking glass from in front of the sensor, and replacing it with a flat plain clear glass of similar thickness. There are guides and videos online showing how to do this for some common (big-seller) cameras. I’ve picked up a couple old Canon digital Rebels, the first 6MP version, intending to try this someday. You can even buy pre-cut flat glass pieces on eBay or from those with the web guides. Some of those people will also do it for you for a fee. Based on the online pages I’ve viewed, the results can be intriguing and excellent.

Jim Brokaw

Groups.io © 2021 Groups.io
You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to main@Submini-L.groups.io via rpedelty@.... You can unsubscribe here.