Recent Lomo 110 Orca Films -PROBLEM

Terry Martin

Hi All,
Last week I received 10 rolls of Lomo 110 Orca Film that had been on
back-order from B&H. I opened one Monday and loaded it into my recent
Fuji 450 Flash purchase. It seemed like a tight fit; I had to press
firmly to get the cover closed. It was not a problem of the winding
gear obstructing. I shot a few frames and switched to a recent Kodak
60 purchase, where it went in OK but the film wouldn't stop on the
perfs. So I switched to a Minolta 470 and again the back wouldn't
close, so I switched again to a Minolta 450 and again the back
wouldn't close. I then tried loading it in an Agfa 6000 and the door
would only close with difficulty, but it advanced and stopped
normally.
So I am concerned whether I have one defective cartridge or ten, and
if ten then perhaps a warning note should be sounded. At $8 per, I
need reassurance.
Note that each of the above cameras seemed to function perfectly
normally afterwards when testing with an expired Solaris cartridge
from about 1999.
Regards/73
Terry
--
Terrence (Terry) Martin
Registered Patent Attorney

"The large print giveth, the small print taketh away"

bsdunek

Hi Terry,
I have used quite a few cartridges of Orca with no problems.  They were purchased a few years ago and have been residing in my freezer.  You probably have a later production run than mine.  It could be the plastic cartridges are not quite right.  I would suggest contacting Lomography customer service and ask if there has been a bad batch noted.  As far as I know, Lomography is the importer of these films.
Hope that helps,
Bruce

On Apr 28, 2021, at 8:49 AM, Terry Martin <wd4aon@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Watts

G'day Terry,

I am still using up Orca from Batches 1 and 2! I stored a lot in my freezer (close to 100 rolls!) as it was uncertain at the time whether they would stay in production. However, the cassettes I have, have always been a little snug,  but I have had no problems using them in a number of Pentax Auto 110s, both my Minolta 110 Zooms (2 each mkI and mkII) an Autopak 470, numerous Agfas, a Fujica 110 zoom, a Minox 110 and Canon 110 ED 20.

So I would contact B & H and report the issue as they will know if there have been any other reports. Can also contact Lomo direct via their website for confirmation.

My only criticism is that the film stock - particularly batch 1, is rather thick, probably due to the lack of backing paper, and it is a bit "misty" when processed.

Bill, Hamburg, Germany

[...]

Hi guys - This cart was from the very latest batch B&H got in. Terry