Polaroid Go, new submini Instant Film camera (was: Re: Newest "subminiature" camera?)

Godfrey DiGiorgi

Okay, I ordered one. It arrived three days ago.

I've got one exposure left of the original two-pack of film it came with.

https://us.polaroid.com/collections/polaroid-go-camera

It is a great little camera and produces very nice photos. It's not a Minox B nor a Minolta 16, nor a Polaroid SX-70. It is its own thing.

My first pack of film netted these eight test shots, which I scanned quickly with a flat bed scanner and minimally color corrected for web display:

With my second pack of film, I'm experimenting with the film's dynamic range and learning better the characteristics of the Go's meter. So I picked nasty lighting situations for the first four exposures, and then processed them after the same quick scan with the flatbed. Still not bad at all!

Raw uncorrected scan, intentionally poor exposures:

30 seconds of LR correction to each frame:

All in all, while still a toy camera, it produces very nice results straight out of the camera that are also amenable to some proper image processing (and a better scan technique would go well beyond what I showed above.

I also discovered that it has another couple of features last evening:
- The flash is normally set on to aid exposure, but you can also lock it off. (press the options button to toggle on and off)
- It has a self timer incorporated so you can get into the frame at a distance. (press and hold the options button for >1 second to toggle on and off)
- The exposure mode can be set to make double-exposures on demand for some interesting and fun effects photos. (double-press the options button to start a multi-exposure capture, toggle to defeat.)

Frame in the photo above was a hand-held selfie at the bike shop with one of the guys there. Perfect exposure, color, everything.

I'm experimenting with the multi-exposure feature on my last two frames.
More film is on the way.

Everyone who's seen the camera and the photos it makes so far loves it and wants one.
This may prove a big win for Polaroid! and …Dang!… both a new Polaroid AND a new submini in 2021! :-)

No matter where you go, carry your submini camera!

On Apr 21, 2021, at 9:15 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi via groups.io <godfreydigiorgi@...> wrote:

I found full specs here:

  • Dimensions: 5.9 x 3.3 x 2.4 in (105 mm x 83.9 mm x 61.5 mm)
  • Weight: 0.53 lbs (242 grams) (without film pack)
  • Color: White
  • Battery: High-performance lithium-ion battery, 750mAh, 3.7V nominal Voltage, 2.7Wh, rechargeable via USB.
  • 15-pack battery life
  • Outer shell: Polycarbonate + ABS plastics
  • Lenses: Polycarbonate resin
  • Shutter speed: 1/125-30sec
  • Aperture: f/12 and f/52
  • Focal length: 34 mm (35 mm equivalent)
  • Field of view: Diagonal 65.1°, Horizontal 48.1°, Vertical 49.1 degrees
  • Automatic flash (with override)
  • Flash system: Vacuum discharge tube storage
  • Compatible only with Polaroid Go film

Cricket

Hey!!  Thats not bad!!  Thanks for the review. I may get one now :)

On May 3, 2021, at 09:06, Godfrey DiGiorgi via groups.io <godfreydigiorgi@...> wrote:

Okay, I ordered one. It arrived three days ago.

<Polaroid-Go_vs_Minox-B_size.jpeg>

[...]

You're welcome.

BTW: I have also discovered that you can use the options I listed in combination: You can combine flash off, self timer, and multiexposure in creative ways. The multiexposure setting of course persists through both exposures by default, but the flash and self-timer settings have to be reinvoked after each exposure. I made two multiexposures, one each with flash on and off. It's fun!

I'll scan and post up the rest of the second roll a little later. :D

On May 3, 2021, at 7:29 AM, Cricket <Minicams@...> wrote:

Hey!!  Thats not bad!!  Thanks for the review. I may get one now :)

On May 3, 2021, at 09:06, Godfrey DiGiorgi via groups.io <godfreydigiorgi@...> wrote:

I also discovered that it has another couple of features last evening:
- The flash is normally set on to aid exposure, but you can also lock it off. (press the options button to toggle on and off)
- It has a self timer incorporated so you can get into the frame at a distance. (press and hold the options button for >1 second to toggle on and off)
- The exposure mode can be set to make double-exposures on demand for some interesting and fun effects photos. (double-press the options button to start a multi-exposure capture, toggle to defeat.)

Joe Mcgloin

Edited

Darn, if I hadn't just spent $10 buying my Telepathy 35mm half-frame, I might just Go for a Go!

telepathy283.jpg

OK, some would say that the images from a Telepathy are "half-baked", and they are correct -- in some sense.