IR in Digital cameras

Bryan Shumaker

I have several digital SLR’s that have been modified with the IR cut filter removed. That is because I am an avid astrophotographer as well, and it lets you see hydrogen very well in space because it lets the red come in. Can I do it myself? Possibly, but I found it easier to have someone who’s done this numerous times do this for me for a fee…

Godfrey DiGiorgi

Heh. I resemble that remark. :)

On May 9, 2021, at 6:58 AM, Bryan Shumaker <cystokid@...> wrote:

I have several digital SLR’s that have been modified with the IR cut filter removed. That is because I am an avid astrophotographer as well, and it lets you see hydrogen very well in space because it lets the red come in. Can I do it myself? Possibly, but I found it easier to have someone who’s done this numerous times do this for me for a fee…

Ronald P

Although you *can* take an IR photo with just about any digital camera, an IR filter (e.g. Hoya R72), and longish exposures, many lenses will show unsightly hot spots. If you want to go this route you can find charts for many popular camera/lens combinations that will show you which lenses are best suited for IR photography.

Bill Watts

Based on experience, the larger the radius of the front element, the more likely the lens is to give pronounced hot spots when using for IR photography. Flatter front element produce better IR pictures

Bill Watts, Singapore

Although you *can* take an IR photo with just about any digital camera, an IR filter (e.g. Hoya R72), and longish exposures, many lenses will show unsightly hot spots. If you want to go this route you can find charts for many popular camera/lens combinations that will show you which lenses are best suited for IR photography.

Godfrey DiGiorgi

Well, when I do things like IR and what have you, I usually don't bother looking for what's best that other people have because I rarely want to buy a bunch more gear. I just take what I have and see if it produces anything useful for me… :)