Date

Re: Reloads in the Rollei E110

Peter Frederick

That looks better, but still too much contrast. Lots of flare too -- do you have some black backing paper behind the film gate? If not, you need some to absorb the light bouncing off the back of the film!

You may also need to "flock" the lens box with flat black Testor's model paint. All Kiev 16s come from the factory with shiny black paint, and the resultant flare is astonishing, had to paint all of mine with flat black.

You may also want to reduce the exposure to cut down flare too.

Delagi #8 should get you around ISO 25-50 depending on the film stock (Agfa Copex Rapid is around 50).

Re: Reloads in the Rollei E110

Patrick James

I shot another roll last night. Developed it 5m/78º in Beutler's. Still too much. I think I might give POTA a go. Never used it before. The camera though is working fine with the reloads. Only issue is the film feeler pushes that corner away from the film rails so the corner is stretched out. Could be the super thin microfilm. I suppose if I was intending to use the camera only this way I could take it out. Doesn't look simple to do though... And my viewfinder is off to the right. Still a fun little camera. I'm thinking about buying a 16mm camera next. Might be easier to deal with.

Re: Another OT: 105mm Fuji Super HR available

Terry Martin

Eric,
I just noticed you said sulfATE, not sulfITE.
Regards/73
Terryt

Re: Reloads in the Rollei E110

Patrick James

Murray, I am using standard 100 cassettes. I just put another stop of ND over the meter but i think I only need a half stop. We'll see I guess. I'd rather overshoot it so I know. Same with development. I'll knock that down next time.

I've used Rodinal every way possible and some ways that you've never heard about. Probably could practically write a book about it after 30 years of it. Rodinal is a poor developer when you need to limit development. The pH makes it aggressive, though the dilution and oxidation keeps it from overdeveloping generally. With microfilm though density builds real fast it looks like. That is why I switched to Beutler's. Beutler's is a soft developer in my experience. Doesn't mean I will stick with it but for now it seems to be working. Just need to nail the times. Once I get the combo figured out I might branch out to other developers. POTA being one. I like contrast though so I doubt I'll do it. It is all for fun anyway.

The light leak I asked about in the beginning of the thread was a non issue. The film came out horribly with stand development. Haven't had an issue since.

The pressure plate issue was a one off I'd guess. The first cartridge I modified I glued a strip of backing paper to the back of the cartridge. The second one I was in a hurry so I didn't. That was probably half the problem. I adjusted the springs on the back of the camera since too. I'm pretty confident the problem is solved, but I guess I'll see with the next roll...

I'd adjust the battery voltage with a diode, but I am already almost there with the microfilm. No point in starting over.

Re: twiddle sticks

Bryan Shumaker

 I have use these for many years, and they work great for the Minox!

Re: Reloads in the Rollei E110

Murray Kelly

I forgot to add that I put a silicon signal diode in the space next the battery compartment in series with the one that is already there as a steering diode (no damage if the battery reversed). Fiddly but worth it.

Murray vk4aok

Re: Reloads in the Rollei E110

Murray Kelly

Patrick, what cassettes are you using? 100 or 400? For an ISO 25 you would need a 100>50>25 ND filter 2 stops on th meter but 400>200>100>50>25 if using 400ASA cassettes - 4 stops.

The light leak could conceivably come thru the front of thr take-up side at the front where the cover for the lens lives if someone has left it loose. It is thin aluminium and bending it a few times to get at the mechanism could let light into that side. Try a tiny blob of blue tack.

There is some thought that rodinal is better with borax and sulphite. I am lazy and put 0.5ml rodinal and 0.5ml of HC110 in 200 water. The hc110 swamps the NaOH of rodinal and has the sulphite replacement built in. pH is 8.8.
I like semi stand and the up/down motion of Technidol like you describe. My film is Imagelink HQ because I bought too much of it!

The pressure plate - could you line the plate or the cassette with paper to get the thickness?

My xperience with battery voltage (a Canon) was that over voltage gave underexposure.

73 Murray vk4aok

Re: Minolta 16 half-frame?????

Patrick James

I'd love to regear one of the small RFs from the 70s to half frame. The only accurately focusing half frame camera is the Oly Pen F. The Canon Demi EE17 is a fantastic camera but it is eeny meeny miny moe with the focus. A nice Canon QL17 or Minolta Himatic E turned into half frame would be sweet....

Re: twiddle sticks

Patrick James

That might work for rolling Minox too. Right now I use a bolt with double sided tape but a long dowel would be nicer.

Re: Reloads in the Rollei E110

Patrick James

Terry, I use 1:1:8 for the Beutler's. Standard. Never had an issue with that. Long straight line negs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! You could knock your time down but I wouldn't go less than say 5 minutes. If that is too much then dilute it. My next step will be 5 minutes but I think that will either be just right or just almost right. Lol. I gave up on Rodinal I think but maybe at some point I'll give it another go with a variant of Rodinal I use sometimes.

That roll was my fourth roll but only third tank. I developed two together. One was way overexposed because I didn't take the extra two tops of ND out. The last one was a bit under. C'est la vie. I've been doing this for a long time so I can pretty much look at a neg and make an edumicated guess. Lol. It is all for fun anyway. My normal times for regular film with Beutler's are usually in the 15 or so minute range so I figured 6 was good, but then I added two more which was dumb... Oh well.

No idea on the battery voltage thing. The only color roll I shot in it was old and horrible so I didn't get any information from that. Once I get the RAM film down I might cut a roll of 5222. I made a slitter for 16/Minox but I haven't used it yet. Been sitting around here for a year and a half. I get around to things eventually.

The Nikon gives me a 94mb file in 16bit grayscale, 3081x2185. I think the best way to scan these small negs is with a digital camera. I'm too lazy to do that though. Good enough is good enough most of the time. The Canon flatbed I have is good enough for looking at the images on screen. I worry about better than good enough later in the darkroom but I don't print that much anymore since I never sell prints. That world is long gone now. As soon as I get some acceptable negs I'll probably give some a whirl in the darkroom.

I don't get any light leaks. I guess the cartridge blocks that leak I mentioned above. Weird design though.

I'll try to get some more film shot in the next few days.

Re: Minolta 16 half-frame?????

Godfrey DiGiorgi

Yes, but so many complain about the new Go that makes bigger pics than that … and of course, those badge cameras made four of the same photo.

On Jun 13, 2021, at 5:01 PM, Terry Martin <wd4aon@gmail.com> wrote:

There were Polaroid ID badge cameras the made four pictures for each exposures?
Terry

On 6/13/21, Godfrey DiGiorgi via groups.io
<godfreydigiorgi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Can't see how. The cost of a pack of Polaroid film is the cost of the print
units plus the cost of packaging. You can't easily split a print unit into
multiple parts … It's not like roll film or 35mm cine film.

On Jun 13, 2021, at 3:08 PM, Joe Mcgloin via groups.io
<xkaes=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Maybe 16 exposures on a Polaroid????

24??? 32???

THAT might make it affordable!!!